Wednesday, July 30, 2008

 

A Study in Contrasts

Sen. John McCain, on John McCain, quoted by Rich Lowry at The Corner:

In war and peace, I have been an imperfect servant of my country. But I have been her servant first, last and always. Whenever I faced an important choice between my country's interests or my own interests, party politics or any special interest, I chose my country. Nothing has ever mattered more to me than the honor of serving America, and nothing ever will. If you elect me President, I will always put our country first. I will put its greatness; its prosperity and peace; and the hopes and concerns of the people who make it great before any personal or partisan interest. We are going to start making this government work for you and not for the ambitions of the powerful. And I will keep that promise every hour of every day I am in office, so help me God.

Sen. Barack Obama, on Barack Obama, courtesy of Weekly Standard Blog, via Memeorandum:

[Revised paraphrase, according to Jake Tapper]

It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It’s about America. I have just become a symbol.'"

[Next sentence, quoted by Jonathan Weisman at WaPo's blog The Trail]

“I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions."

These admissions provide as stark a contrast as any with which America has been presented. No need for me to make any other remark.

Labels:






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]